A year of highlights

It’s hard for me to believe this is already the fifth issue of 1400.

We created this year-end report as a way to share the unique story of the University of Indianapolis and its impact on the city, the state, and the international community. One part of that story is ending with my retirement this summer. Although I am wrapping up seven years as president of UIndy, this is just the beginning of an exciting new chapter for the University.

As I reflect on the last seven years, I think of all of the new facilities, programs, and community linkages for UIndy, including—on a very practical level—the long-awaited revitalization of Hanna Avenue. (Our address, 1400 East Hanna Avenue, gives this publication its name.)

I am especially proud that UIndy was the only private university chosen to pilot the Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching Fellowship program.

I will cherish the memory of seeing Mayor Greg Ballard and his four distinguished predecessors on stage in Ransburg Auditorium for a public conversation about the city’s past and future.

And I will never forget the University’s involvement in Super Bowl XLVI this year, during which we turned our Athletics & Recreation Center over to the New York Giants for a week and thoroughly enjoyed our role in the city’s massive hospitality effort. If you are hearing about UIndy more often, if you are aware of some of our activities, then we have been successful in telling our story. I have every confidence that my successor, Georgetown University Associate Provost and Dean Robert Manuel, will help UIndy enrich that story.

Thank you for reading 1400.